As of 2014 homeschoolers are no longer required to obtain a church (cover) school to homeschool in the state of Alabama, with the passage of SB-38 (Act 245-2014). The current definition reads “only such schools that are established, conducted, and supported by a nongovernmental entity or agency offering educational instruction in grades K-12, or any combination thereof, including preschool, through on-site or home programs.” 

Section 16-28-7

Report of enrollment.

At the end of the fifth day from the opening of the public school, the principal teacher of each public school, private school, and each private tutor, but not church school, shall report on forms prescribed by the State Superintendent of Education to the county superintendent of education, in the event the school is operated in territory under the control and supervision of the county board of education, or to the city superintendent of schools, in the event the school is operated in territory under the control and supervision of a city board of education, the names and addresses of all children of mandatory school attendance age who have enrolled in such schools

The ALSDE website might have a different interpretation, and so might your local BOE representatives. These entities are also known to say such things as "homeschool kids can't go to college" and "you must have an accredited curriculum", neither of which are true. The public school system is not the best source of information on homeschool law.

The Private School enrollment form we are providing below is the one created by the ALSDE. If you choose to fill out this form you are the 'non public school official' and your title is either teacher or principal. The second page for attendance isn't to be turned in, but is to be kept in your records.

Other records to keep if you go this route is attendance and proof of immunization (or exemption). These are not subject to be turned in, and only need to be kept in your records.

Mobile County Board of Education

Superintendent Chresal D. Threadgill

1 Magnum Pass, Mobile, AL 36618


Baldwin County Board of Education


2600-A North Hand Avenue, Bay Minette, AL 36507


Washington County Board of Education

Mrs. Lisa Connell, Superintendent

229 Granade Ave, Chatom, AL 36518


Chickasaw City School System Board of Education

David Wofford, Superintendent of Chickasaw City Schools

201 N. Craft Highway, Chickasaw, AL 36611


Saraland City Schools
Dr. Aaron Milner, Superintendent

4010 Lil' Spartan Drive

Saraland, Al 36571 


Gulf Shores City Schools

Dr. Matt Akin, superintendent

PO Box 3908 Gulf Shores, AL 36547


Orange Beach City Schools


4099 Orange Beach Blvd., Orange Beach, Alabama 36561